Thursday, July 5, 2012

Let the summer sewing begin!

Hello there! At two months old, I decided it was time to take up sewing, and I wanted to model these stylish dragon bloomers. Perfect for the modern baby.
Complete with a cleverly fussy cut dragon on the posterior.

My sister thinks they're pretty fun.

Okay, so Owen didn't really write all that. But he did watch me. The bloomers are from my favorite baby sewing book, "Simple Sewing for Baby" by Lotta Jansdotter, sewed up in organic quilting cotton from the "Happy Drawings" collection. I also made me a skirt - the "Make it Perfect Wrap Skirt", which is really simple and fits quite perfectly. The orange flowers are a Lotta Jansdotter print, and the brown is the inimitable Flea Market Fancy. I thought a wrap skirt would be perfect post partum, as it could shrink with me, and the pattern was pretty easy, so I thought I could manage it in my sleep deprived state.

This skirt would have been super simple if I hadn't tried to sew it 4 weeks post-partum. I actually sewed the three main skirt trapezoids together wrong, and didn't realized it until I had both the top and bottom stips completely sewed on and zig-zagged in place. The center fabric is an A-shaped trapezoid which gives the skirt its very flattering line. But upside down . . . not so flattering. So rather than ripping the entire thing apart, I thought of it like making darts, only down the entire length of the skirt. I folded over the length I wanted to get rid of at the top, and sewed down the skirt so that the new seam would join just above the already hemmed bottom of the skirt. It worked perfectly, so I ended up making a perfect skirt after all. Whew. Welcome to my new blog, by the way. Thanks for making the move with me. I'm back to tickling baby feet. Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment